Sponsored by the Cultural Vision Fund and Utah Open Lands in cooperation with the Wallace Stegner Center, “Trying Times: Conservation Easements and Federal Tax Law” will be held virtually on Monday, May 22, 2023. This four-hour program will address the latest case law and IRS guidance impacting conservation easements. Experts will offer practical advice to land trust staff and board members, government employees, attorneys, appraisers, and landowners. Attendees will have the opportunity to hear the IRS’s perspective and ask questions of a diverse group of panelists who collectively have almost 200 years of experience with conservation easements and tax incentives. Each of the three panel presentations will be followed by time devoted solely to Q&A.
Speakers include the following:
- Karin Gross, Special Counsel, IRS Office of Chief Counsel, Washington D.C.
- Stephen J. Small, Esq., Law Office of Stephen J. Small, Esq., P.C., Massachusetts
- Gerald R. Barber, Conservation Easement Appraiser, Land Planner, and President/Founder of Barber and Mann, Inc.
- Wendy Fisher, Executive Director, Utah Open Lands
- Jeanie McIntyre, President, Upper Valley Land Trust
- Nancy A. McLaughlin, Robert W. Swenson Professor of Law, University of Utah S.J. Quinney College of Law
For more information on the conference, including links for registration, speaker biographies, and other details, please see the Trying Times website at https://www.law.utah.edu/trying-times-conservation-easements/