The College of Law offers a range of field placements in a variety of practice areas, allowing students to develop lawyering skills while earning academic credit. During field placements, students do legal work under the supervision of a licensed attorney outside the law school. They also set learning goals and engage in robust reflection under the guidance of a faculty member.
Field placement opportunities vary each semester, depending on placement needs and student interests. Students can apply for placements through the online job board, request to be matched at a placement, or locate their own externship placement with the approval of the Director of Field Placements.
In addition, the College of Law offers one year-long field placement opportunity: Criminal Process Externship: This externship is open to third-year students interested in spending a full year working in a prosecutor’s or public defender’s office. Students must take the companion classroom course, Criminal Process, and need to qualify to appear in court under the student practice rule, Rule 14-807. Please note there are prerequisites: Evidence (LAW 7040), and either Criminal Procedure: Investigation (LAW 7030) or Criminal Procedure: Adjudication (LAW 7031). Trial Advocacy (LAW 7072) is highly recommended.
How to Apply
There are multiple ways to secure a field placement.
- You can apply for openings on 12Twenty by selecting the “Field Placement” column under “Type of Job.”
- You can connect with a supervisor on our List of Approved Placements and ask about potential field placement opportunities.
- Have you found a placement that is not on the List of Approved Placements? Request approval from the Director of Field Placements with the New Placement Approval Request Form.
- Do you already have a placement in mind? Fill out the Field Placement Confirmation Form.
- Do you want to earn course credit at a placement where you have already worked, interned, volunteered, or externed? Fill out the Petition for Repeat Field Placement.
In order to enroll for course credit, students must confirm their field placements by the following dates:
- Fall field placements must be confirmed by August 1.
- Spring field placements must be confirmed by December 15.
- Summer field placements must be confirmed by May 1.