Steven Magleby was a graduate of the University of Utah College of Law who devoted much of his professional life to defending and advocating for the rights of people with disabilities. He served for many years as a member of the Board of Trustees for the Disability Law Center. He championed the rights of people with disabilities and set a high standard for legal advocates and attorneys representing and advocating for people with disabilities.
Because of the generous donations and contributions by the family and friends of Steven Magleby, a Memorial Law Student Fellowship Fund has been created to honor his memory. Beginning in June of 2000 and each June thereafter, the Steven Magleby Memorial Law Student Fellowship Fund will present a monetary stipend and award to an outstanding University of Utah College of Law student who demonstrates a devotion to furthering the goals for which Steven dedicated so much of his life.
Stipend (Amount TBD)
Rising third-year law students who have demonstrated a commitment to the values expressed through the life and achievements of Steven are eligible to apply for this award. Applicants may demonstrate this commitment through participation in public interest law endeavors in one or more of the following methods:
- Participation in the University of Utah College of Law Civil Legal Clinic and be selected for an externship with the Disability Law Center;
- Provision of pro bono legal advocacy services to the Disability Law Center;
- Provision of legal research on a “cutting edge issue” that promotes the rights of people with disabilities to the Disability Law Center or another public interest or private law firm;
- Provision of direct legal advocacy (or non-legal advocacy) to an individual with disabilities or to an individual who is a member of an ethnic, minority or other under-served population at the Disability Law Center or another public interest or private law firm.
Application Requirements and Deadline
Applicants should submit a short paragraph describing their experiences relating to disability law.
The selection of the recipient for the Steven Magleby Memorial Award will be made by a committee made up of the following members:
- Professor (or other law school faculty representative)
- Member or representative of the family of Steven Magleby
- Managing Attorney of the Disability Law Center
Due: Summer semester
For Further Information
Please contact Professor Linda Smith, Clinical Program Director.