- Juris Doctor, University of Utah College of Law (1975)
- Bachelor of Science: Political Science, University of Utah (1972)
ExperienceMr. Clyde has represented many clients in the buying and selling of water rights and in the conversion of water rights from agricultural irrigation use to domestic, municipal and industrial use for development of real property, particularly in the resort areas of Summit County, Utah. He has represented parties in the negotiations of a Lease of Power Privilege on Bureau of Reclamation Facilities for the Central Utah Project and in the negotiation of power sales contracts from the hydroelectrice facilities constructed under the lease. He is general counsel to the Central Utah Water Conservancy District, the sponsor of the Central Utah Project and is knowledgeable regarding federal reclamation law. Real estate development projects for which he handled the water rights acquisition and conversion include the Jeremy Ranch, Park Meadows Golf Course and Development, Glenwild Golf Resort, Ranch Place, Landmark Plaza, Mountain Regional Water Special Service District, Summit Park Special Service District, Park City Mountain Resort, Snowbasin Ski Resort, Brian Head Ski Resort, and many others.
He has represented many individuals and entities before the State Engineer of the State of Utah, both as applicants and as protestants to water rights applications, and has litigated water rights appeals in the district courts and Supreme Court of the State of Utah and in the federal courts. He also has experience in local government law and has represented many clients in planning and zoning activities before city and county planning and zoning authorities; drafted a water concurrency ordinance for Summit County, Utah; created local special districts to provide water and sewer service within and without incorporated municipalities.
Honors and Awards
- Best Lawyers in America for over ten consecutive years; environmental law and natural resources law
- Superlawyers, Corporate Counsel Addition, environmental law and natural resources law
- Utah Legal Elite, environmental law and natural resources law
- He has served in many capacities in both the Utah State Bar Association and the American Bar Association’s Section on Natural Resources, Energy, and Environmental Law. He served on the governing Council of the ABA Section on Natural Resources, Energy and Environmental Law from 1989 to 1991, and as Chair of the Water Resources Committee of that section 1985–88. Mr. Clyde was Chair of the Utah State Bar Section of Natural Resources, Energy and Environmental Law 1989–90; and as Chair of the Water Law Committee of that section from 1983 to 1986.
- He is a current member and former Chairman of the University of Utah College of Law Alumni Association, former Chair Vice-Chair and Board member of Utah Open Lands Conservation Association (a state-wide Land Trust), and previously served on the Board of Trustees of the Utah Water Conservation Forum.
- He is a contributing editor to Western Water Law & Policy Reporter, a nationally published water law periodical, and a contributing author to the water law treatise Water and Water Rights. He served as an adjunct faculty member of the S.J. Quinney College of Law at the University of Utah, 2001–04, 2007–09 teaching water law. He has published several articles and frequently lectures at CLE conferences on topics related to Western water law.
- Central Utah Water Conservancy District; Salt Lake City Corporation; Murray City Corporation, Sinclair Oil Company
- Park City Mountain Resort; Deer Valley Ski Resort; Snowbasin Ski Resort and Brian Head Ski Resort
- Gunnison Irrigation Company; Henefer Irrigation Company; Smithfield Mutual Water Company; Bear River Canal Company; Bear River Water Users Association
- Magnum Development LLC
- Ark Land and its subsidiaries and affiliates, Arch Coal and Canyon Fuel Company
- Equestrian Competition and Trail Riding
- Mountain Biking and Road Biking
- Alpine and Cross Country Skiing
- Co-Owner and Operator of Diamond Bar X Ranch in Woodland, Utah